Today I have a simple but effective post for you. As we got ready to renovate our kitchen (full post on that coming soon) I knew something had to be done about our dingy appliances. I've been cleaning the stainless steel sink weekly since moving in and nothing was helping it look like new again. By scouring Pinterest I was able to find a quick DIY solution that didn't use harsh chemicals and actually used ingredients I already had in the house!
- Baking Soda
- Lemon Peel
- Olive Oil
- Paper Towels
The Process:First, clean the sink with your sponge and get off any food specks, etc.
- Sprinkle the baking soda all over the sink. Baking soda is a great cleaning agent that doesn't harm the surface of the sink. Adding some water, scrub the sink with the baking soda and water mixture in a circular motion. Rinse off.
- Put some vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spritz it all over the sink. You don't need much vinegar- use 1 part vinegar for every 4 parts water. Let sit for a few minutes then scrub with your sponge and rinse with water. Vinegar is a natural disinfectant that is gentle enough not to scratch the stainless steel.
- Use the lemon peel and rub it into the surface of the sink. I also squeezed the juice into the disposal to give it a fresher scent. The lemon mostly serves to help your sink smell better and you can skip this step if you don't have a lemon or orange on hand.
- Use paper towels to dry sink.
- Finally, but some olive oil on a paper towel and start working it into the surface of the sink. This really helps give the sink its shine back!
And there you have it, a quick and easy way to freshen up your appliances with supplies you already have in the house. You can use this technique on any of the stainless surfaces in your home. My stink started to lose its shine after a few weeks so I'd recommend doing this about twice a month. It's so easy, and much less harmful than the stainless steel cleaners you get at the store.
What do you think? Will you be trying this easy cleaning method at home?